Friday, June 20, 2008

A Thunder storm and the demise of a family member

If you have been reading my past posts,
you would've noticed that my headings would always go
"XXXXX and YYYYY" - and it might be lame for some of you...
For today's post, as the title suggests,
there's a mystical connection between the both
(that is, if you're as superstitious as me)
...and I'm not joking,
I have actually lost a family member today morning
at about 2 a.m. or so... He is my dear (oldest) uncle in-law
or in Hokkien "Tua Ee Teo"

"Tua Ee Teo", if he managed through this year,
he would've been 74-years-old.
The last time I met him was during the school holidays
when my cousin, Dr. Janet from England got married with a Singi' doctor
For the first time, I saw how quiet he was,
barely talking much with his many grandchildren.
However, I didn't know the delitescent fact of his 'time-to-go'
and his deteriorating health.


Actually, to tell you the truth,
he is one of the biggest reasons why I've been holding to my Chinese roots
till today, although I was born into an English-educated family.
(Not that my parents do not practice any traditional stuff like that)
Number one, he taught me how to write calligraphic words with a brush,
and also giving me encouragement to continue writing when
I started taking part in school competitions.


And he was the one who made me love tea, specifically Chinese tea.
I still remember the days where he would always come to KL
and visit my family. He would always bring some ---- (actually a lot)
of Chinese buns ("pau") and "siew pau" for us.
There, I would always make tea for them (my "tua ee" and "tua ee teo".
As far as I remembered, I enjoyed making tea and sometimes I went over-enthusiastic
and brewed more than all of my family members could drink.
"Tua Ee Teo" taught me how to savour good tea
and he would almost always give me a packet of tea leaves to "try"
whenever I visit him or when he visits me.
He really made me love tea.
I was once a tea-addict that i drank so much tea till I could not sleep at night.


Therefore, I have to say, with full respect
that he is just not some kind of regular, pococurante uncle.
He, in fact was one of the main reasons why I still hold on tightly
to my Chinese roots and you can also say that he
implanted the love towards Chinese culture in me.
Rest-in-Peace uncle in-law...
May you always be well and happy...
Sukhi-Hotu.






ok
lets move on to the coincidence that happened yesterday...
Lightning was roaring
and my house's main fuse tripped almost twice of thrice.
The electric gate did not function
and the house kept tripping like mad
on off, on off....
So called the gate mechanic...
said the motherboard totally burnt
so spent RM 400 for repairs....
However
My whole house kept tripping and tripping...
Really like a mad house..
when my room fan was switched off
since then the madness stopped
Mom's prospience told her that it was my room fan causing problems..
She was damn right...


Today when (another) mechanic came
mum lead him to my room
He tried to open my fan-switch (rheostat)
then "POOPH"
Smoke and sparks came out
mum was shocked
I was too...
The fuse "sot" liao
and the whole thing was like "smoking"...
Haiz...
although sounds more serious than the previous "electrizaster" (electrical disaster),
this one only costed RM 30--
Well after the storm yesterday we got to know
that my "Tua Ee Teo" was in a critical state...
Thought he had already passed on at nine bcs
when mum called "Tua Ee" she said "Bo Liao... Chao Liao..."
but actually... but anyway...
he only went peacefully at 2..



I know I shouldn't be blogging in this manner
but well
I still find it hard to believe that my "Tua Ee Teo"
has crossed over...
Still, may he be well and happy..



Dear 大姨丈:


虽然您已走了,
虽然您已不在
您在我们心目中
永远还会存在着
那虽然根也寻不完,
所学的也学习不完,
您教我寻根
您给我看到,
我们所遗传的实在太美,
不用去崇拜他人之美处
就这样才敬拜您
多谢我的大姨丈




Thank you uncle in-law

No comments: